K&R On Memories with Mom

There’s no doubt that the bond between mother and daughter (and mother and grandmother!) is one that can’t be matched. Our Silpada Co-Presidents and Commanders-in-Chic, Kelsey Perry and Ryane Delka, share their beloved memories with mom!

Kelsey Perry Ryane Delka Mother's Day

Silpada Designs: What’s one of your favorite childhood memories of your mother?

Kelsey:
Her hugs! Nothing beats mom hugs! To this day, she gives the best hugs and they are the most comforting thing in the world. It makes me giggle now because I am so much taller than she is that when we hug and I tower over her, but she still is the one comforting me.

Ryane:
Dancing around our living room to Michael Jackson. We still laugh at the fact that my mom’s dancing is more like aerobics! Funny thing is, almost nightly I dance around with my kiddos and see the same joy in their eyes that I felt when I was younger.

SD: What’s the best motivational advice your mother has ever given you?

K:
“Sissy, be sweet!” My grandfather would say that to my mom as she was growing up, and she would always say it to my sister and me. Even today, she always reminds me, “Sissy, be sweet!”

R:
She always said, “You don’t have to prove anything to anyone. Just be yourself and make choices because you feel them in your gut, not because someone is pressuring you to do something or be someone other than yourself.”

SD: What fashion tips and tricks did you learn from your mother?

K:
Have fun and try anything once. She’s always taken calculated fashion risks and still has a lot of fun with clothing. But, my mother is a true Southern mother, so there are also a few things she taught me that I hope to one day pass along to my daughter. Like: “Always wear a slip with a dress.” And, “If you have to ask if your skirt, shorts or dress is too short, then it is.” And also, “Even if something is in style, if it is not flattering, DON’T wear it!”

R:
She always used to say (and still does), “Just because a lime green sweat suit is comfy does not mean you should wear it.” She instilled in us that clothing and jewelry are a form of self-expression, so be creative and have fun. She wishes I liked to belt things as much as she does, but she is slowly letting it go!

SD: Kelsey, we know you and your Nana are super close! What makes your relationship so unique?

K:
My Nana is an amazing woman. She dedicated her life to being a life-long learner and is a living example of unconditional love. We have so many fun memories, but what I truly remember is just how Nana made all of us feel—like we were the most important things in her world. It was never about gifts, trips or things…just love! And she still gives the best advice.

SD: Ryane, in terms of raising your children, how has your mother inspired you along the way?

R:
I never doubted my mom’s love and belief in me…ever. That stability as I discovered the world on my own through mistakes and accomplishments enabled me to know that, regardless of the outcome, I had a safe spot. I want my children to grow up never doubting my love, commitment and belief in them. I want them to look to me as their safe spot, just like I do with my mom.

Want to keep up with the happenings of our oh-so-stylish Co-Presidents? “Like” their Facebook page here.

Now it’s your turn: What’s your favorite memory with your mom? Tell us in the comments section below!

Share Button

Comments

1. 1

Dana Howell says

I just recently lost my Mom after a two year battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease). I had four sisters (one is deceased) and growing up, Mom always gave us advice but never forced it on us. In other words, if we came to her with a problem she’d listen and then tell us what she would do if it were her but never once did she say, “You need to do…”. One of the best pieces of advice she ever gave me personally was to “shine where you are” and now that she’s gone, that phrase means even more to me than it ever did before. I believe with Silpada, it’s going to be easy to do that “shining” in honor of her!

2. 2

Michelle Dreger says

When I was growing up, my mom would sew clothing for my Barbies…..she must have been doing it at night while my brothers and I were asleep. I would wake up and my Barbie would be wearing a new jacket, skirt and blouse – very tailored and made from fabric that had small prints that were in proportion to the doll’s size. I have every thing she ever made for me saved. There is love in every stitch, each tiny Barbie sized button and little zipper. Thank you, Mom! Love you!

• 3

Kimberly Hunter says

Dear Michelle,

I don’t know why your story touches me so. I have tears in my eyes. What a beautiful way to express her love for you! I remember something my mother used to say that she got from her mother; “A mother’s love is never done.” Loving mothers find so many different ways to express their love for their children. Aren’t they GREAT!!

3. 4

Pamela says

Camping at Indian Falls Lake. No matter what was happening in our lives, if it was a bad day or we were mad about something, it would all go away when we were camping. Life was just more relaxed and easy. I lost my mom in 1977 to Ovarian cancer but think about her every day. I miss her terribly. She never saw me as a grown women with a family. That’s why I say, “Cherish every moment you girls have with your moms”.

4. 5

Meagan Dwyer says

My mom and I have always been close and it has been fun to experience the changes in our relationship as I’ve gotten older and she has become like a friend to me. I don’t have any one memory that stands out – but I love my mom’s laugh! She has an amazing sense of humor and can always find a way to make anyone smile or giggle. Even if I’m down or crying she always finds a way to get a laugh just when I need it. Then we quote one of our favorite movies – Steel Magnolias “Laughter through tears!”

5. 6

michele terwilliger says

My moms favorite phrase that has always stuck with me is “this to shall pass” I have lived by these words ..any time things start to get tough or look like a battle , no matter what ” this to shall pass” it certainly makes things much easier to handle. I have learned so many amazing things from my mom, that I am passing to my 3 children, and now granddaughter. So blessed to have my mom live so close and share with me in my fabulous Silpada business <3

6. 7

Gina Swenson says

I loved when my mom would teach us silly little songs she learned from her father.
    Like : You are the B-E-S-T , B-E-S-T best of all the R-E-S-T, R-E-S-T rest and I L-O-V-E, L-O-V-E love you all the T-I-M-E time!

7. 8

Karen keown says

I lost my mom in 1971 and my husbands mom in 1996 and miss them BOTH everyday!!!! I loved them with all my Heart & Soul!!!!! What my mom did not teach me my mother-in- law did!!!! They were the BEST Mom’s ever!!!!!

8. 9

Sheila says

When i think of my Mom, beyond the cherished memories when teaching me the domestic things in life (cook, clean, sew, entertain, shop, garden, etc), it’s her example and her character I revere most. Her family & her faith have always been the epicenter. Soft spoken and humble, yet strong and determined, the one word that best describes her is ‘love’. ‘Love is patient; love is kind. Love is not jealous; is not proud; is not conceited; does not act foolishly; is not selfish; is not easily provoked to anger; keeps no record of wrongs; takes no pleasure in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth; love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.’ ~I Corinthians 13:4-7 These are all her attributes! I have been tremendously blessed to have been born to this woman. She’s now in her twighlight years and struggles with many health concerns, yet remains steadfast. I continue to learn and grow so much by being her daughter.

9. 11

Megan Walters says

My favorite memory is of my dad who has always been my mom and dad in my eyes. My parents divorced when I was 3 and a half and my dad raised me on his own. He has always made me feel loved and supported no matter what!

10. 12

Judith Rosenberg says

My mother was a person who gave of herself to everyone. She was someone who stood out on street corners for ‘tag days’ and took ‘care packages’ of food and sweeties to folks for happy occasions and sad. She was a loving and caring wife and mother and did not discriminate about diversity and where she put her efforts. She was equally comfortable volunteering at her synagogue as she was with St. Joseph’s Hospital and the Catholic Home for Wayward Girls (a hideous and outdated identification), but nonetheless, my mother did not hesitate to bring home girls who swore like truck drivers and had tattoos in unmentionable places.
    She was a ‘gal’, a ‘babe’, a ‘force’ and a source of great love and joy to me and her grandson.

Judith Rosenberg, Guelph, Ontario

11. 13

karen lee graves says

My mom lost her battle with cancer of the fallopian tubes in 2000 and I feel as if I lost my Mom, my friend, my confident and someone I treasured everyday….she taught me to always fix myself up each day and take pride in myself, to enjoy each and every day, and be thankful to God for our blessings….she was a beautiful lady inside and out and for my sister and I, when we were kids ,made us graham crackers with frosting and had us dress in sundresses to remember we were girls. She made some of our clothes and fixed our hair, and she did the same for herself….she was on incredible person.

Karen Graves Winona Mn

12. 14

ebony says

I remember growing up in a single-parent household. My mom did the best she could to provide for us. Though we didn’t have much, to me we were rich. I remember many trips and time spent w/family. That was one of the things she instilled in us, the importance of family and sticking together… which we did and still do now. As an only girl, she also taught me about responsibility and always making sure I can take care of myself, which I found to be a very valuable skill. That mixed with faith has never failed me. I thank God to have my mom still with me and I cherish each day the Lord blesses us to see.